Hidden away in the dunes of the pristine Ningaloo Coast World Heritage Area, Sal Salis is a secluded, luxury beachside safari camp tucked away on the North West Cape of Western Australia’s Coral Coast.
We don’t have Wi-Fi or mobile phone coverage here at our camp, which we believe gives us the edge in offering our guests a restorative digital detox experience like no other. No one complains about not having access to the Internet or not being able to get a cell phone signal. We tell them it’s not available in advance and the majority of our guests actually embrace it as a welcome escape from the everyday demands of modern life.
Set between the ruggedly beautiful Cape Range National Park and the sparkling blue waters of the Ningaloo Coast, the stunning landscape surrounding our camp deserves your undivided attention, as does your travel companion. No Wi-Fi means you are able to unwind and fully enjoy each sunrise, sunset, wildlife encounter, delicious meals, interactions with others and even a spot of star gazing without feeling compelled to check your emails or social media accounts.
Sometimes we just need a break to recharge our minds, reset our boundaries and re-establish healthier habits.
Mental health studies have shown that there are many good reasons to switch off for a while. The following points were mentioned in a Beyond Blue article about the health benefits of a digital detox:
- Reduced stress levels: People who take a break from technology often report feeling more calm and present in the moment to enjoy things happening around them. SWAP SOCIAL MEDIA FOR SUNSETS. A visit to Sal Salis offers a complete break from technology. Spend your days exploring the Cape Range National Park, or discover Ningaloo Reef’s myriad of marine life. After immersing yourself in your beautiful surroundings during the day, spend your evening watching the sun set over the Indian Ocean as you sip a freshly prepared drink, followed by a chef-prepared meal in our cosy lodge.
- Increased productivity: Less time spent scrolling through your social media feeds allows more time to do other things such as getting out and about, exercising and connecting with loved ones. SWAP WHAT’S APP FOR WHALESHARKS. Why not tick a few things off your bucket list during your stay at Sal Salis? Swim with whale sharks or humpback whales, or take a sunrise hike in the Cape Range National Park.
- Better relationships: According to Beyond Blue, more than 40 per cent of Australians believe their partner uses their phone too much and 70 per cent admit to using their phones during meal times. Less time on your phone allows more time for meaningful interactions and conversations. SWAP FACEBOOK FOR FREINDSHIPS. Sal Salis not only offers the opportunity to reconnect with your partner during your stay, you will also meet a range of other likeminded people here. Many lifelong friendships have been made in our lodge at meal times, as guests regale each other with their stories of exploring the region and the amazing things they’ve experienced here.
- Improved health: Sitting down looking at a screen for long periods of time can result in bad posture and reduced physical activity, which can cause us health problems. SWAP SITTING FOR SNORKELLING. We offer our guests a range of activities from hiking in nearby gorges to spot black-footed rock wallabies, to kayaking in Yardie Creek, and snorkelling in the coral gardens of our private beach. However, we can’t blame you for taking an afternoon siesta in your hammock, or relaxing on the beach – we encourage it! Relaxation is important, too!
- More sleep: Screen time before bed inhibits the release of a chemical called melatonin, which helps our bodies relax and prepare for sleep. SWAP MEMOS FOR THE MILKY WAY. No fear of that here! After dinner, why not enjoy a spot of star gazing? We keep artificial lights to an absolute minimum here so the stars shine brightly. What better way to end a perfect day than by admiring the magnificent Milky Way?
We believe our slice of paradise is the perfect spot for a digital detox, but you don’t have to take our word for it. Earlier this year, we were delighted to be included on Fathom Travel’s list of the top ten places in the world for an off-the-grid escape!
Are you always ‘on’? Perhaps switching off at Sal Salis is just what the doctor ordered. We are set to re-open in mid-March 2019. Contact us now to book a digital detox and give yourself something to look forward to after the busy festive season!